10 reasons to get some Himalayan Salt in your life
I have been going on about getting this, 10 reasons to get some Himalayan Salt in your life post up for two weeks. I know..Sorry!
‘Himalayan crystal salt is far superior to traditional iodized salt. Himalayan salt is millions of years old and pure, untouched by many of the toxins and pollutants that pervade other forms of ocean salt.’
Global Healing Centre
In comparison, common table salt contains chemicals and sometimes even sugar and aluminium. The salt has been chemically bleached and stripped of nutrients through a process using heat as high as 1,200°F. Processing salt turns it into sodium chloride, an unnatural salt the human body considers a toxin.
Whenever I see a new health fad in my social media timeline, I roll my eyes and think here we go again. Another one. I tend to give these things a wide berth. Himalayan Salt is nothing new though. It’s just that when a big page shares it, it gets people talking about it again.
There are 4 ways I use this Salt – Himalayan Cooking Salt, Himalayan Bath Salt, Himalayan Salt Body Scrub and I also use a Himalayan Salt Lamp. You know i’m all about holistic healing at the moment and I am on the very beginning of my journey into that. The first thing I introduced in my life was this lovely salt.
So on to those 10 reasons:
1. Himalayan Salt contains the 84 natural minerals and elements that are found in the human body. As well as being high in sodium, Himalayan salt is also high in iron, magnesium, phosphorus, calcium, and potassium. It also contains traces of iodine, zinc, selenium and copper, all of which are great for our health. Himalayan salt contains all these minerals without any processing or refining.
2. Promotes PH balance – Our bodies (Blood) need to maintain a PH of 7.4 (Slightly Alkaline). Maintaining this is important because an acidic environment is often linked to many illnesses. Himalayan Salt helps to balance the PH levels by bringing it back to its normal levels.
3. Increases hydration by controlling the water levels within the body. Benefits of which include reduction in blood pressure, slows down ageing, stops high cholesterol, helps with digestive disorders, flushes out bacteria from bladder and kidneys, speeds up joint repair and many more.
4. Enhances detoxification process. When used in a bath it interacts with the body in a way that it both pulls the toxins out of it and provides it with additional minerals. It also helps relax cramped muscles. You may feel tired the following day, so use with caution. I would not advise anyone who is ill or pregnant/breastfeeding mothers to try a detox bath. I feel absolutely drained the following afternoon.
Here is a link to purchase some Himalayan Bath Salts.
5. Using a Himalayan Salt lamp balances electromagnetic radiation, cleanses the air, enhances sleep patterns, reduces stress. I keep mine in my bedroom. I used to keep it on my desk but find it is better to keep it on overnight and let it work its magic. Here is a link to purchase one like mine.
6. Encourages blood sugar health. Chromium within Himalayan Salt helps in the regulation and production of insulin. Manganese maintains blood glucose levels in the normal range and is used in treating diabetes and hypoglycaemia Magnesium helps digest sugar, starches and fats and also stabilises blood sugar levels.
7. Aids digestion and helps food pass freely through the intestinal tract. Himalayan salt plays an essential role in all stages of digestion. It also helps the intestines absorb nutrients.
8. Prevents Cramps – Have you ever had one of those foot cramps? If you have had one, you know exactly how awkward and painful they can be. Himalayan Salt balance Electrolytes. An imbalance of which can be one of the causes of muscle cramps.
9. Ear infections that are caused by bacteria and viruses can be aided greatly by diluting some salt with distilled water and using as ear drops.
10. Great for the skin – Using Himalayan Salt cleanses and purifies pores. Below is a recipe for a scrub you can make at home.
There are several other benefits to using Himalayn Salt including (but not limited to), the fact that It reduces the common signs of ageing, Increases bone strength, Promotes kidney and gall bladder health and supports thyroid health.
One of my biggest motivations to use this salt came when I heard that it reduces stress and anxiety levels. I am a sceptic so I didn’t believe it for one minute but when my teacher mentioned it to me (Someone who i really respect), I just had to try it. To say it has helped me, would be the biggest understatement. I believe that healing comes through God and I had really prayed for healing. I believe that sometimes you are guided to the solutions. I don’t think it was exclusively the Salt that has improved my levels of anxiety. There are other factors but i think it has helped significantly. I went from being a quivering wreck two years ago to finally being able to get out and about independently, finally being able to use my voice again and finally being able to do things I wasn’t able to do. Seemingly small things to many people felt like huge mammoth tasks for me and I hid it well. Read more about my anxiety here.
Himalayan Salt Scrub Recipe
200g Coconut Oil
Mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl using a fork.
Transfer to a jar and store at room temperature.
To use – Apply to wet skin and massage in. Soak for 10 – 15 minutes. Drink at least 2 glasses of water afterwards.
Keeps for up to 12 months.
You may feel tired the following day, so use with caution.
I would not advise anyone who is ill or pregnant/breastfeeding mothers to try a detox bath.
By the way, this make an awesome gift.
I would also recommend drinking Sole pronounced Solay water. More info on that here.
** This post contains affiliate links which means I make a small commission when you purchase some of these products. This helps me to continue providing recipes and content. All opinions are my own. **