12 ways to be kind to yourself every day
12 ways to be kind to yourself every day is part of our new 6 steps to wellness series. It falls under the Emotions category in the Lifestyle Factors mentioned in that post.
For the past year, I have been very intentional about relearning what it means to be kind to myself and it has made me so much happier. I have started to incorporate little bits of self love into my day to day life.
Here are some suggestions for how you can do the same:
The Kindness List:
1. Make some time for yourself – Set some time aside every day and do something that brings you joy. This can be anything from drawing, reading, journaling, swimming or anything else that you love to do. For me it is cooking, photography and reading. Not all on the same day though because that would be a bit much!
2. Work on your morning routine – Our morning routines often set the tone for our entire day. There is no one size fits all and that means you are in the driving seat! You can tailor make a morning routine that works for you. Some of the things I like to do are Praying, Journaling, A Gratitude Practice, Affirmations, Meditation, Reading, Walking, and listening to something uplifting. Yes I realise that seems like a lot but I make it a priority by waking up extra early to squeeze it all in. These things are ways of giving to myself before other responsibilities take over my day. It is a way of being kind to myself first thing in the morning and allowing that to flow through my entire day.
3. Laugh at or challenge your inner critic – I was taught this technique by one of my mentors. I told her about some of my struggles and how I was hyper critical of myself and would give up on things because I had such high expectations of myself. She taught me to zoom in on the critical thought, laugh it off and to stand up for myself against myself. Whilst it felt weird at first, it soon became second nature.
4. Forgive Yourself – Every single one of us messes up. To feel better about mistakes, we should show ourselves kindness when we have messed up. We can either resolve to do better if possible or forgive ourselves and move on. Instead of focussing on the way you have messed up,give yourself a little boost by reminding yourself of all the things you have done right that day.
5. Take Good Care of Yourself – One of the best ways to show yourself kindness is to take good care of yourself. Things like getting enough sleep, eating well and getting some form of exercise on a regular basis all fits into being kind to yourself. Implementing some skincare or pampering into your morning/evening routine also helps!
6. Respect Yourself. Self respect is valuing yourself for who you are right now, and not allowing others to dictate your value. We all have strengths and weaknesses. Sometimes we succeed, and sometimes we fail. Sometimes you’re right, and sometimes you’re wrong. Allow yourself to fully be who you are. Trust yourself, think for yourself, form your own opinions, make your own decisions and drop the comparison. Finally, self-respect is about self discipline too and keeping your promises to yourself and following through on what you tell yourself that you’re going to do.
7. Show yourself some Compassion and Soothe Yourself – When you are having a bad day, talk to yourself like you would your child or your best friend. Be kind to yourself by soothing yourself in a positive way. So.. you could have a soak in a hot tub with essential oils or make yourself a cup of tea and read a book. Do what works for you. Nobody knows how to soothe you better than you.
8. Remind Yourself that you are enough – We’ve all had times in our lives when we’ve thought..’I’m not enough’. That leads to a negative self image. Replace that with ‘I’m enough, just as I am’, ‘I’m worthy’, ‘I deserve to be happy’ and whatever other message you feel needs reinforcing in you. I have a list in my phone that I read every morning.
9. Honor Your Dreams – As I mentioned above, self love is set discipline too. People who love and respect themselves honor their dreams. They focus on the end goal and make a road map for how they will get there.
10. Believe In Yourself – You can only honour your dreams, when you believe in yourself. Have faith in your own abilities and in your own judgment. Don’t look for outside validation because that might not always be there. Instead focus on what you know about yourself and reach for the stars.
11. Keep your surroundings clutter free – I don’t know about you but when my environment looks like a dumping ground, I feel a little out of sorts. I am not saying everything has to be perfect. I am a book worm and have a load of books next to my bed and that works for me. Your environment should reflect who you are without feeling overwhelming so that you cannot focus on anything else.
12. Surround yourself with positivity – You are the sum of the five people you spend the most time with. If those people are negative or always sharing sad news, they will drain you. If like me you rarely see people on a day to day basis, your social media timeline really matters. I follow people who make me feel happy, who share good news, who are really upbeat because it is all too easy to get drawn into negativity.
This was a tip given to me by a friend about a year ago and I can’t begin to explain how life changing it has been. Some of the pages I follow are Self Care is for Everyone, Stacie Swift and Positively Sparkly. I have also started my own page and although it is new and I don’t really know what direction I am going with it yet.. seriously, it makes me so so happy. I spend waaaaaay more time on that page then any other page. It makes me smile and that deserves my time.
Whilst we’re on the subject of positive influences, surround yourself with people who are out there doing things. Surround yourself with people who have big dreams and want to make a positive impact on the world. Surround yourself with people who care about things that matter to you.
Also..surround yourself with people who you can be yourself around, who love you and accept you as you are and in whose company you like the person you are.
..And that’s all.. there will be loads more posts coming like this in the future because I truly believe that being kind to yourself can change your life and I am dedicated to helping you to love yourself and find your inner glow. The glow that will make you want better for yourself and the glow that will help you to do big things. It all begins with self love. I really believe that.
Just remember.. There’s only one person in the world you’ll always have a relationship with, and that’s yourself. Be kind to yourself every single day until it becomes your new normal. You are worth it and you deserve the very best.