Almond Milk and Chocolate Almond Milk
Hello guys! How are we all on this bright and breezy morning? I’m good but in desperate need of something to get rid of this headache. I don’t do pills so that’s out of the question. At times like this, I wish i had some almond milk and chocolate almond milk in the house. The reason being that when i have too much dairy, it really affects me. Last week, I went a little overboard with my dairy consumption and felt it pretty quickly! The thing about almond milk is, it’s easy peasy to make but you gotta have time. You aren’t going to be making it and drinking it within the same day. I am going to be honest, it took me a while to get used to almond milk but seriously, home made is SO much better then store brought.
I’m kinda forgetful at the moment. Like I can’t seem to remember anything. I make a list every morning but that is pretty useless if you forget to write what you need to do on to the list. Haha!
I’m feeling pretty chirpy this morning. I finally found me some black seed honey and will have it in my hands by tonight. I’m doing a little experiment with it and I am really excited. Ok maybe I need to get a life but hey ho!
By the way did you read my post about why we have changed direction a little bit? Here is the link to it. It explains better why we are eating healthier. Here is more info on the course I am studying.
That being said, currently I do believe in a balanced approach! That is why we have varied recipes on the website. Some specifically for cheat days! That may change going forward because ultimately the aim is holistic healing and reclaiming our health. For the moment though, this is what is working for us as we transition into this new way.
Back to the milk, dairy free alternatives are great and this almond milk is awesome. What I love about it most is that, you can make it at home! I also love coconut milk. I use dairy free alternatives a lot and they are great in lattes, coffees, teas and smoothies.
- 110g Almonds
- 3 Medjool Dates Pitted
- 700 ml Water
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract (Optional)
- Sweetener of your choice - Stevia, Agave Nectar, Maple Syrup, Honey (I used 2 tbsp Honey)
- Additional 700 ml water
- 3 tbsp Cacao or Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- In a medium/large container with a lid, add the almonds, dates and water and refrigerate for up to 2 nights. (You can also make it after just one night if need be).
- Drain the water. Place the dates, almonds, vanilla extract and sweeter of your choice into a blender. Add the additional 700 ml water
- Blend for about 2 minutes till smooth.
- Set 2 muslin cloths/fold over one large muslin clothier a medium sized bowl.
- Bring the 4 corners of the cloth together and twist to squeeze all the milk out.
- Taste and adjust sweetener if need be.
- Store in a closed bottle in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- For the chocolate milk, use the same recipe but add unsweetened cocoa powder into the blender with the rest of the ingredients.