Asian Black Pepper Chicken
This asian black pepper chicken is so yummy and easy to make. A takeaway favourite and something that most people like. Also it is pretty healthy too. Woo.
So the weekend just gone was spent at my parents house. It was awesome and so much fun. Understandably the kids didn’t want to come back home. I knew they would get over that though once they got home. We went to my parents house because my little sister had a baby boy. So so so cute mA. He is absolutely adorable. He has that beautiful new born baby smell. You know the one. Also helps that he is beautiful and soft and cute. Basically we have fallen a little bit in love with him. Babies have that effect. The kids didn’t get to meet him because he is still in hospital and kids aren’t allowed to come in to see the bubba. So when he gets home all my nephews and nieces will be all over him. My kids will get to meet hime in mid April. They are so excited. Especially my daughter. Although she was gutted that it was a boy and not a girl. I am not broody though. Promise. Most people do get broody when meeting new borns. I didn’t though…this time. Mainly because the fasting/detox had me in that kind of ‘out of it’ mood.
Yesterday my husband was asking me about a dish that is something we make in the part of India I am from. I can’t stop thinking about it ever since. My mouth is watering and everything. However I can understand that if you are new to it, it would sound really weird to you. Basically it is just sliced onions in a yoghurt base. You then break up loads of chapati into it and have a munch mate. Anyway, moving onto the subject at hand.. you really should try this chicken. It is so good and perfect serves with rice.
- 1 lb chicken breast cleaned and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- 150g stalks celery thinly sliced
- 200g white onion, deiced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1½ tbsp coarse ground black pepper (NOT plain)
- 4 tbsp Oil
- Marinade the chicken for half an hour in half the soy sauce, half the vinegar, ginger, white pepper, cayenne pepper and corn flour with a little water.
- Heat two tablespoons of oil in a medium sized wok.
- When hot, add the chicken. Cook on high heat until browned.
- Remove from the pan and add in the celery and onions with the remaining oil. Cook on high for 30 seconds.
- Add in the remaining soy sauce, vinegar, the chicken and the black pepper.
- Cook just to mix through and serve with rice.