Baked macaroni and cheese with ground beef
My kids love mac and cheese and why not? I mean what’s not to love about dreamy creamy mac topped with mountains of cheese? So how does one make it even better? By turning it into a baked macaroni and cheese with ground beef! I make a variety of mac and cheese, plain old mac and cheese, one with steak, one with crackers and one with garlic that has been roasted for half an hour. They are all delicious and they will all be uploaded to the website as soon as possible.
It is a real crowd pleaser. Great for adults and kids alike. You don’t have to put it in the oven but I think it adds a little edge.
It is also a super handy meal when you have an army of kids coming round as we often do at my mum’s. There are ten kids including mine and the majority are under the age of 5. 7 of them to be precise. So it is very very noisy/very very crazy and they get very very hungry.
I live a 3 hour drive from my parents so I really miss it but when I am round I love it. I miss the kids like crazy and wish my kids got to see them more. This year, one of the most important changes i wanted to make was to spend as much time with my parents as possible. I am ever aware that they are getting older and I want to soak up every minute. I have seen so many people leave the world suddenly over the last year and I cannot bear the thought of being without my parents but more then that, I would hate to feel that I hadn’t visited them enough over the years because I was busy worrying about everyone/everything else.
Ooh.. it got a bit serious there. So back to the mac and cheese, you could omit the ground beef altogether for a plain but super saucy mac and cheese. If you do that, I wouldn’t put it in the oven and I would reduce the amount of cheese! I mean you don’t have to but it will be really cheesy!
I used three cheeses here and you could always use cheese of your choice. A great option would be brie because it melts like a dream and whilst it doesn’t add a whole load of flavour, it adds a lot of creaminess.
Sometimes I feel like there are so many recipes to get up onto the website and i can’t quite keep up. Not that i am complaining, I genuinely love doing what I do. I mean there are literally thousands of recipes to get up and I am so excited to share them but unfortunately, we have other commitments too. BOOOOOOO! Haha.
- 300g elbow macaroni
- 2 onions diced
- 1lb ground beef washed
- 1½ tsp cumin powder
- 1½ tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp flour
- 3 tbsp butter
- 450ml milk
- 1 tsp parsley
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 200g cheddar cheese grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 100g Feta cheese crumbled
- 25g Parmesan grated
- Preheat oven to gas mark 6.
- Cook the macaroni according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside and toss with oil to prevent it all getting stuck together.
- Heat the oil and butter in a non stick pan over a medium/high heat, allowing it to brown a little.
- Now add the crushed garlic. Saute for 30 seconds.
- Then add the onions and cook until golden.
- Stir in the ground beef, cumin and coriander powder, cayenne pepper, mustard powder and salt and pepper. Allow to cook over a high heat breaking with a spatula as you go until all the beef is browned. This takes about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato puree and allow to cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Melt the butter in a small non stick pan.
- Add garlic and saute for a minute.
- Add the flour and salt and pepper and stir continuously for two minutes.
- Now slowly add the milk and whisk until the flour and milk are well combined and no lumps remain.
- Simmer over a low heat for about ten minutes till it thickens.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the parsley and cheese.
- Stir the ground beef, sauce and macaroni together and add to an oven proof dish. Now add the parmesan and feta (or cheese of your choice) on top of the macaroni.
- Pop into the oven for 5 - 10 minutes and enjoy!