Black Bean Quesadillas with Avocado Dip
I love black bean quesadillas with avocado dip. Aka – A gorgeous mash up of beans, avocados and other awesome mexican flavours in a crispy tortilla shell.
By the way, I don’t always make the avocado dip because I already put avocado into the quesadillas. Nothing wrong with doubling up on avocado though right? There was a time when I didn’t quite understand the avocado hype. I thought they were bland and boring and the texture was weird. However when I was a student many moons ago, I used to love Guacamole. I used to go to a place in Preston, Lancashire specifically for the Guac. Guac Guac.. Sorry. I think I am the only person on earth that finds things like that funny.
I love black beans because they are delicious and take on flavour really well. This black bean chilli is divine yet so simple to put together. Mashing the black beans together with avocado and my fave thing ever, smoked paprika works wonders. Ok those aren’t the only ingredients but they are the main flavours. The Quesadillas are also incredible with sour cream. I adore sour cream but buying a ready made sour cream sauce bottle, means loads of hidden ingredients which is fine for a one off. However you could make your own or use creme fraiche instead. A lighter, healthier option and so yummy. It is thicker and not as sour but it is so good.
Quesadillas are the perfect picnic snack, great for a quick lunch, a real crowd pleaser and fantastic as part of a Mexican dinner party and who doesn’t love Mexican food? They can also very easily made into party finger food/appetisers or oeuvre derves. Do give these Quesadillas a try. I hope that you will love them, as much as I do.
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 small Red Onion diced
- 1 400g tin Black Beans drained
- 180g Sweetcorn
- 1 tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 110g Feta Cheese
- 2 slices picked Jalapeño diced
- 25g Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Ripe Avocado diced
- 4 Wholewheat Tortillas
- 1 Avocado chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1/4 small Red Onion diced
- 3 tbsp chopped Coriander
- 3 tbsp Greek Yogurt
- 1 slice of Picked Jalapeño (Optional)
- 1 tbsp Lime Juice
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add onion and saute for 5 minutes until the onion is softened.
- Add the beans, corn, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, cumin, coriander and salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Crumble in the feta cheese and stir for a few minutes until the cheese starts to melt.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the jalapeño, cheese and avocado.
- In a separate pan, set the heat to low and add your first tortilla.
- Fill half of the tortilla with about 4 tbsp of the mixture and spread thinly.
- Fold the other half of the tortilla over and cover with a lid.
- Cook for 1 minute. Remove the lid and using a spatula, flip the quesadilla over and cook the other side for an additional minute until crispy.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas and cut into quarters.
- Serve with creme fraiche or sour cream.
- Blend all the ingredients for the dip in a blender and add water togged to desired consistency.