Buckwheat, Cashew and Almond Bars
These buckwheat, cashew and almond bars are the best things ever.
They are I imagine what ponies and unicorns are made of. I mean the colourful ponies from My little pony by the way.
These are healthy crunchy, creamy nutty bars that taste like dessert. Also they are no bake, fuss free and all round amazing. They are the perfect last minute, ‘you’re coming with me on a road trip’ snack bar. Talking of road trips, I will be making these babies tomorrow because I am on the road with the husband and kids and like I have said before, snacks are EVERYTHING when you have kids and are away from home. Also they are guilt free because they are full of super seeds/super foods and are super good.
In my opinion, a fudgy bar that is made with super healthy awesome ingredients and wrapped up in almond butter AND slathered in a dark chocolate should be invited to every party/gathering right? The fact that they are no bake makes them friendly and what is a party without friends?
The bars are not high maintenance or in need of attention either. (I mean who has the time?) You will not need to baby these bars. They will just come together in 10 minutes with minimal effort, a few ingredients, NO refined sugar and…erm also they will become part of your first aid kit. Chocolate covered things belong in that box. I know you agree. Just imagine having a minor accident and opening the box (store in fridge to avoid melty, sticky situations) and then seeing this baby! You would unwrap it (because obviously it would need to be wrapped or it may have a plaster on it and some cotton wool, which would kind of kill the taste) and then just gobble it up and all of a sudden, said minor injury would feel like nothing. Nothing at all. I mean, did it even happen? *Pauses to imagine the likelihood of households everywhere, adding a healthy snack bar to their first aid kits*..I think it should be a thing.
- 1 Cup raw Buckwheat
- 1 Cup Cashews dry roasted with a pinch of salt in a pan on high for 5 minutes
- 1 Cup Desiccated Coconut
- 1 cup flaked Almonds
- 1/2 cup Chia Seeds
- 1/2 cup Cocoa Nibs
- 1/2 cup Sunflower Seeds
- 1 cup + 1 large tbsp Almond butter divided
- 1 cup Honey
- 1/2 cup Coconut Sugar
- 200g Dark Chocolate
- Rub a 9x13 inch tray with coconut oil.
- In a medium bowl, combine the buckwheat, roasted cashews, coconut, almonds, chia seeds, cocoa nibs and sunflower seeds.
- In a large pot over medium heat, add the almond butter, honey and coconut sugar.
- Stir until melted and smooth. Allow to bubble and remove from heat immediately.
- Combine the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix together quickly. Spread out into the tray in an even layer.
- Melt the chocolate and the remaining almond butter in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until melted.
- Pour the chocolate over the bars and spread in an even layer.
- Cover with cling film and pop in the fridge for 2 hours or until firm.
- Cut into 18 - 20 bars.
- Keep in the fridge for up to a week.
These are great cool and eaten from the fridge.