Buttermilk Chicken Burger
Looking at this Buttermilk chicken burger today is torture.
Mainly because it isn’t cheat day today and cheat day is banned for a month anyway. I KNOW! Actually I don’t mind it. I just finished reading a book about healing and it talks about how the body can heal when it is aided – Clean foods etc. I totally agree and it is the one thing I have always believed since I was a child. I believe that the body has a natural ability to heal itself. That is why I was never one for tablets. If this little experiment, results in a full body detox and some much needed healing, it is totally worth it in my book.
I have just taken some refined sugar free, dairy free and gluten free gingerbread biscuits out of the oven. They taste very gingery..I am hoping that is an actual word. They don’t taste exactly like gingerbread but close enough considering that they are free of all that naughty stuff. I know my kids will enjoy them too.
I think when people taste bakes/desserts that are raw/vegan/gluten free/soy free/dairy free and refined sugar free, they expect them to taste exactly like their counterparts. That is so unrealistic. I have to say though that some of the desserts are awesome and taste as good and sometimes better then the original. Yes really!
The other thing is that when people embark on a cleanse, they simplify their tastebuds and normal food tastes so much better because your tastebuds have moved away from the processed, over flavoured junk that you once ate a lot of. I’m talking about things like Cheetos. Crisps that could glow in the dark, don’t belong in our bodies. Those foods are made that way for a reason. I don’t want to get into food politics here but you get my drift right?
Try this burger recipe on cheat day and you won’t be disappointed!
- 200g Mayonnaise
- 2 tbsn hot pepper sauce
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 medium/large white cabbage thinly shredded
- 200 g pickled gherkins sliced finely
- 4 tbsp pickled jalapeno slices
- 120 ml pickle juice
- 500g plain flour
- 1.5 tbsp ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 500g buttermilk
- 2lb chicken breasts cut into 8 thin slices
- Veg oil for frying
- 8 burger buns
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Combine garlic, Mayonnaise, Cabbage, Hot pepper sauce , pickles, pickle juice and jalapeños in a medium/large bowl. Pop in the fridge.
- In a separate larger bowl combine the flour, pepper and salt.
- Add the buttermilk to a small bowl.
- Dip the first piece of chicken in the buttermilk bowl. Let the excess drip off. Put into the flour mixture. Shake excess flour off. Repeat again, then lay onto baking tray. Repeat with the remaining chicken. Add the vegetable oil to a deep frying pan or wok until it is about half inch high.
- Heat on medium until the oil is hot. Fry the chicken for 3 minutes on each side. Rest on wire rack and sprinkle salt to taste on top of the fried chicken pieces.
- Butter the buns and griddle in a dry pan until brown.
- Assemble the bottom of the bun, then the chicken, then the coleslaw before topping with the top of the bun.
Adapted from Bon Appetite Magazine.