Chai Poached Pears with Honey Yoghurt
These chai poached pears with honey yoghurt are so good. A healthy dessert is always a good idea and these fit the bill perfectly.
This morning I was watching a youtube video about youtube cliques. This particular You tuber who is mixed race and extremely successful was talking about how there are a group of you tubers who are represented very well and some that are not represented at all. Those You tubers are white middle class you tubers who have gone on to be very successful. So lets think about who those people are – Zoella, Zoes Brother, Pointless blog, Marcus Butler, Niomi Smart, Pixi Woo, Jim Chapman, Tanya Burr, Sprinkle of Glitter etc. etc. By the way I am so new to youtube, I have literally come across these people over the last couple of months and very quickly worked out that they are all mates and some of them have known each other since school. Also as is evident from the list of names (Zoe’s Bro), I don’t actually know some of their names. Because I am so new to youtube, I don’t know if what was said in the video is accurate. I think it is a saturated market and people will do anything to stand out. Also because these people have been in the game so long, they have teams behind them who help and guide them along, as well as other resources like for example money to put into marketing etc etc. As I say I don’t know if this is true but I have a real problem with clique like behaviour because that means that it isn’t necessarily the best people that are noticed/everything is very tunnel vision and samey. Does that make sense? Tunnel vision as in, people will only look at certain people and validate them and will ignore everyone else. It’s all a bit high school.
Anyway, here is the recipe for the poached pears. They are awesome!
- 5 cups water
- 1/4 cup black tea
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 whole cloves
- 3 cardamom pods, lightly cracked
- 1 whole star anise
- 1 inch fresh ginger, sliced
- 120g honey
- 4 small firm pears
- 250g yoghurt
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a large pot, combine the water, tea, and spices and bring to a gentle simmer for 10 minutes.
- Cover the pot, turn off the heat and let the chai steep for 1 hour.
- Strain the liquid and discard the tea and spices.
- Add the honey and bring to a simmer.
- Peel and core the pears and add them to the tea.
- Slowly poach the pears, turning them occasionally to make sure all sides are equally cooked. This takes between 1 - 2 hours, depending on the pears used.
- To check, stick a skewer in the thickest part of the fruit. It should penetrate easily.
- Set the pears to drain on some greaseproof paper.
- Continue simmering the liquid until it is the consistency of thin maple syrup.
- Whisk the ingredients for the yoghurt in a small bowl to combine
- Decide the pears between 4 bowls.
- Top with the syrup and yoghurt.