Cheats No Knead Rye and Wholewheat Sourdough
Cheats No Knead Rye and Wholewheat Sourdough – For when you are craving sourdough but don’t have a week to spare or a starter sat in the fridge.
Hey there perfectly crusty sourdough. Thank you for making my house smell incredible and and for making me feel like Autumn has truly arrived.
Lets talk about this bread for a moment. Basically you are getting a rustic looking crusty loaf of piping hot bread that has the perfect crumb, is hot and chewy and is the perfect partner to any soup such as:
Red lentil and bulgar wheat soup
All with minimal effort on your part. Yes it takes time but not quite a week. Whilst I am typing this, I have a real sourdough starter on the go too. I am experimenting with fruits at the moment.
One of my absolute favorite breads is a good loaf of crusty sourdough. For a couple of years now I have been wanting to put a sourdough recipe on the blog (so basically before i started the blog..lol its too early!) but I was also aware that my readers may not necessarily have the time for traditional home made sourdough. It can take a couple of weeks to make really great sourdough and not everyone has that kind of time. This sourdough can be made on the weekend?
I make my homemade pizza dough with yoghurt all the time for the kids and I figured it may work in bread too. So i set about researching and it turns out that it is possible! I just needed to test and make a few changes until I was happy with it. I made one that looked beautiful but was super dense and didn’t taste sour. Sounds lovely doesn’t it?
Like all other no knead bread recipes, this sourdough recipe is so easy to make. You are literally just popping everything into a mixer or a large bowl, then leaving it to rise and then rise again.
The one catch is you will need a dutch oven/cast iron pot for baking the bread and a really hot oven. It really is a must for getting a bread that’s crusty on the outside. I first read that in Tartine. I love my cast iron pot and use it all the time. LIKE SERIOUSLY ALL THE TIME.
I know that you will love this no knead crusty sourdough and I urge you to give this no stress sourdough a try. Let me know how it goes.
- 2 cups or 260g Wholemeal Strong Bread flour
- 1 cup or 100g Wholemeal Rye flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3/4 tsp instant Dry Yeast
- 380g full fat Plain Yogurt (live) - I also tried it with Greek Yoghurt and that works too
- Add the flour, salt and yeast (on opposite ends so the salt doesn't kill the yeast) to a stand mixer.
- Add the yoghurt and mix on medium/high untill a dough forms. The dough will be very sticky.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and leave to rise for 6 hours.
- Dust your work surface with flour and transfer the dough to it. Fold and form into desired shape, transfer to some FLOURED greaseproof paper and pop a large bowl over it.
- Prove for 2 more hours.
- Turn the oven on 230 degrees or Gas Mark 8 when an hour has passed. Put your dutch oven/cast iron pot into the oven. The dough is ready when it almost double in size.
- To bake the bread, lift the paper and transfer the dough into the preheated pot, cover with the lid and bake for 30 min.
- Then remove the lid, and bake until the crust is brown. I baked for a further 35 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 30 minutes.
This recipe is adapted from .cdcm;limc;limc;lmicl;