Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli pasta bake
This cheesy broccoli and pasta bake recipe is quick, simple and a little bit more-ish. It is a recipe from my sister’s mother in law who by the way is such a sweetheart and the grandma of dreams. My nieces are so lucky.
You could just stir the cheese into the chicken and broccoli pasta at the end and not put it into the oven at all.
This recipe uses a ready made cheese sauce, which i wouldn’t usually recommend but sometimes this girl is in a rush. Alternatively you can use my white sauce recipe and add cheese into it. To make it even easier, you could use shredded leftover roast chicken.
In my life right now, It’s 4am and the birds are tweeting. I have been awake since 3am. I have been waking up early for over a year now and i really feel like it is a blessed part of the day. Don’t get me wrong, i haven’t managed it every single day. When i have though, i find that my day goes a lot better. It is when I am at my most productive. Today for the first time ever, i am writing this post from bed. It just makes sense. I need to get my nap after this post is done.The not so great thing about the time of day is that even with the heating on, it’s FREEZING!
Back to this creamy pasta, this is a handy recipe for get togethers because pasta goes a long way but also because everyone will love it!! Please try this even If like me, you are not a fan of broccoli. It is classic, classic comfort food.
- 500g dried pasta cooked according to packet instruction, drain, set aside and drizzle olive oil over the top
- 2 onions diced
- 1 red bell pepper cut into strips
- 1 lb chicken breast washed, fat removed, cleaned and cut into strips
- 3 Garlic cloves crushed
- 1½ tsp Mixed herbs or oregano
- 300g Broccoli in small florets
- 2 packets ready cheese sauce (make with cream instead of milk), I use Colmans
- 50g Mozzarella grated
- 50g Cheddar grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to gas mark 6.
- In a large non stick pan, heat butter and oil and add onions over a high heat. Cook until light brown. (about 4 minutes).
- Mix the crushed garlic into the onions. Heat for a further 2 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the chicken strips, cover the pan and cook over a low heat for 6-7 minutes.
- Now add the broccoli and red pepper strips. Cover again and cook for 3 - 4 minutes. The vegetables should still be crunchy.
- Stir in the cheesy sauce.
- Add the mixed herbs and salt and pepper.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the drained pasta and the cheddar.
- Top with Mozzarella. Heat in the oven for 15 - 20 minutes. Serve with garlic bread.