Chocolate and Egg White Porridge
Fancy a filling dessert for breakfast? Well this Chocolate and Egg White Porridge fits the bill perfectly.
The concept of adding egg whites into my oats felt really odd until i tried it. It not only makes it dessert like but it also makes it EXTRA filling..as if oats aren’t filling enough.
It took me years to really get into dessert but once I did, it was a slippery slippery slope. Now I dream in dessert or chocolate or all things sweet.
Today is my sons birthday and I cannot believe he is already 6 years old. I know all parents say this and everyone else is like ‘puhleaaaaaassse’ but the years seem to have flown by. I remember him as a baby and so many things in between. I could go on to describe his personality here but I don’t want things to get weird. Only mums fan girl over their kids so much that they are willing to read full paragraphs about the child’s amazing character. He is awesome though..that is all. Also..he is really funny and bright and kind. He acts hard but has an innocence that is only apparent to those who really know him. He (like my daughter), is my light on a dark day. OH PLEASE STOP WOMAN. Sorry..I did what I said I wouldn’t.
Moving on..when I want my kids to feel like they are having a treat for breakfast (they got all their stars for the week) I make them this porridge, pancakes or omelette and roti like Chaiiwala.
I am a breakfast person so I can think of a million other things make for breakfast but I think those are their favourite things. Most days they have egg and bread and cuppa tea. Thats how they say it, so that is how I say it and now type it too.
By the way these Porridge Oats are rich and chocolatey and fluffy and you really should try them.
- 90g Oats
- 750 ml - 1 l Water
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 tbsp Cocoa Powder mixed with 2 tbsp Water until combined
- 2 tbsp Light Brown Sugar or Honey
- 2 tbsp Ground Flaxseed
- 2 Egg Whites
- 1 tbsp Peanut Butter
- 1 tbsp Mixed Seeds
- Add the oats, salt and 750ml water to a pan over medium heat.
- Allow to come to the boil and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. You may need to add more water if it gets too thick.
- Stir in the cocoa and vanilla and turn the heat down.
- Whisk in the egg whites (as fast as you can) until fully mixed in.
- Now stir in the sugar and ground flaxseed. Stir to combine.
- Top with Peanut Butter and Seeds and serve immediately.