This recipe is as easy as it gets and therefore ideal (with assistance) to make with kids. A holiday activity if you will. You can add anything to it really, including your kids favourite treats. What i’m saying is, you can’t really go wrong. I opted for grown up toppings when I made this,because we were at my mum’s and she was giving my kids WHATEVER they wanted anyway.
Whilst I type this, my daughter is singing at the top of her lungs whilst lying next to me. The mere fact that she is lying down is a miracle and so i am grateful that she isn’t in fact sat on my head..although the lying down may be because it is 6 am. My son is fast asleep. 🙂
I woke up to a horrible realisation this morning.. for the first time in my life, we have run out of teabags. Those who know me, know i’m partial to a brew and the thought of starting my day without one brings me out in a panic. There is no alternative as far as I’m concerned. So i’m sat here with head banging, daughter singing, hood over my ears dreaming about some dark chocolate bark.
I could of course have added layers and depth to this recipe, but why over complicate it? Sometimes, I just want plain chocolate with any topping i desire!
Ok, my husband just did the sweetest thing. He popped in from work with some tea bags! So I’m off for that brew.
- 300g dark chocolate
- 100g white chocolate
- Toppings of your choice –
- Dried Fruit
- Mini marshmallows
- Crystallized ginger
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder/red pepper flakes
- Flaky sea salt
- Crushed cardamom seeds
- Nut brittle
- Toasted coconut flakes
- Crushed biscuits
- Oil based flavours
- Line a tin with baking parchment.
- Melt the chocolate by breaking into pieces in a heat proof bowl. (Melt the white chocolate separately using the same method).
- Bring some water to a simmer in a deep pan.
- Set a heatproof bowl over the top, making sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water. If there is too much water, pour some out.
- Allow the chocolate to melt. Remove from the heat.
- Pour the chocolate onto the parchment paper and use a spatula, spread it into an even layer about 1/4-inch thick.
- For the swirled chocolate, pour the white chocolate over the dark chocolate whilst it is still hot and swirl with a cocktail stick.
- Sprinkle toppings of your choice over the top and then pop in the fridge for an hour.
- Break into pieces and enjoy.
- The chocolate can also be stored in a airtight container for up to 1 week.