Chocolate Chia Oats with Caramelised Bananas
One of my favourite ways to start the morning is with a big bowl of Chocolate Chia Oats with Caramelised Bananas. Porridge has a reputation for being a. boring and b. slimy. There are so many ways you can dress porridge up but actually oats are a blank canvas and if made right aren’t slimy at all. This bowl of oats is amazing. Trust me and try them.
Basically this is my kinda bowl. It has very simple flavours and is nutritionally dense. Then I went a little crazy with the toppings. Like I have said before, I love texture and colours in my food. Also I think bananas and porridge belong together. Caramelising bananas intensifies their sweetness and adding them to ANY breakfast works. From toast, to waffles, to pancakes, to crepes.. Maybe not great with baked beans though.
This is basically my go to recipe for porridge. I use it as the standard base and the top it with whatever I desire. You can keep things simple here with just bananas and some chopped dark chocolate because erm its a no brainer.. Or you can go crazy and add:
Dried or Fresh Fruits
Freeze Dried Powders
The base oat recipe is pretty simple. The chia makes the oats pudding like. I always add a little vanilla to oats because it makes it more delicious. I started getting into vanilla and porridge when I I tried the Vanilla Zilla Powder from One Earth. It is DELICIOUS. For my milk, I love using any kind of non dairy milk. My favourites are Oat milk, Cashew Milk, Almond Milk, Coconut Milk and Rice Milk.
The kids are back at school today after a week off and its so quiet! We got home last night from my mums where the noise level was insane. The kids did their usual thing of hugging, jumping, screaming, giggling, playing, teasing and some fighting and crying. I guess that is what happens when so many kids (energies) of a similar age (6 and under) get together in one room!
Anyway do try this porridge! It is so delicious.
- 1 cup (140g) Oats
- 375ml Milk of your choice cups
- 250ml Water
- 2 tbsp Chia Seeds
- 1 tbsp Ground Flax
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 tsp Cocoa Powder
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 Bananas, sliced
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 25g Dark Chocolate
- Maple Syrup or Honey for drizzling
- Toppings of your choice
- Combine the oats, milk, water, chia, flax, vanilla and cocoa in a medium sized pan over medium, high heat.
- Bring the mixture to a light boil and then simmer over low heat, stirring until the liquid has been absorbed. This takes about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the salt. Add more milk if required.
- Make the caramelised bananas by adding some coconut oil to a small pan over medium heat. Sprinkle both sides of the banana slices with sugar.
- Add the banana slices to the pan in a single layer. Cook for 1 minutes per side or until the banana has caramelised.
- Divide the oatmeal among two bowls and top with the warm caramelized bananas. Add the chocolate and a drizzle of honey + any other desired toppings. Drizzle over a little Almondmilk Coconutmilk and EAT!
- Divide the porridge between 2 bowls and top with the the bananas., chocolate, syrup or honey and any other toppings.