Crispy Oven Baked Potato Wedges
I have always loved crispy oven baked potato wedges but only recently started making them myself. Crispy, crunchy potato wedges seasoned perfectly and served with sour cream sounds like a perfect side dish to me. I remember going out in my younger years and devouring a plate of potato wedges dipped in sour cream. I am not really a fan of the frozen variety. In fact I am not a fan of frozen anything. I don’t tend to keep ready meals of any variety in the freezer. I have plenty of frozen fruit and veg though for shakes/granitas/sorbets.
I can’t believe it is already December and time to revisit some of those resolutions. The one I have consistently failed at year after year has been the diet ‘lifestyle’ change. However we have improved dramatically in that area over the years. The issue has been consistency and a sugar addiction that has been problematic. So yes I may be repeating myself, but this year is the year that we are making a shift to a lifestyle change that involves cutting back on meat (we have done that really well to be fair), cutting out refined sugar (halfway there), eating whole foods (halfway there) and indulging once a week (halfway there). All these things along with other bits and bobs will helps us to hopefully heal our bodies, minds and spirits.
During my studies, our teacher mentioned that those with sugar addictions have some sadness in their lives and they are therefore seeking that comfort via sugar, they then become addicted and it turns into a bit if a vicious circle. This is why I find it hard to understand that the UK didn’t introduce a sugar tax. It is so harmful and unless you have been addicted to it, you can’t really understand that the effect it can have on you overall. It is a holistic nightmare.
Anyway, here is the recipe for the wedges!
- 1 kg potatoes, peeled - I use Maris Piper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Place a large baking tray in the oven and preheat the oven to 200C/Gas Mark 6.
- Cut the potatoes into 8 wedges per large potato.
- Place potatoes in a large bowl and toss with olive oil.
- Combine the ingredients for the seasoning in a separate bowl and set aside.
- Remove the tray from the oven and add the potatoes in a single layer.
- Sprinkle over half the Seasoning, turn them over and add the remaining seasoning.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until brown and crispy, turn at 20 minutes.
- Serve hot with sour cream.