Easy Squash Laksa
This Easy Squash Laksa is beautifully rich, fragrant, spicy and loaded with flavour. This is an easy version of a Laksa recipe because the paste is ready made.
Laksa is a spicy noodle soup from Malaysia, also found in Singapore and Southern Thailand. There are many different types of Laksa and this one with coconut milk is not the most common one but i love it though, so just work with me here. This version is a must try and one that we tend to see more of in the UK.
BTW Leicester peeps, have you been to Karamey on London Rd, Leicester? The food is just divine. Well it was when I went AGES ago. I am hoping to go again soon and I hope the food is as wonderful as I remember. I don’t know why i just brought them up..as far as I am aware they don’t do laksa. LOL.
Moving on..Making a Laksa paste from scratch requires alot of ingredients that I don’t always have access to. Ingredients include:
Dried Shrimp Paste
Dried Red Chillies
Whilst I have some of those ingredients, I certainly don’t have no dried shrimp knocking about and it feels like a lot of effort to make the paste for just one meal. So I buy the Laksa paste in and work from there.
***Check the ingredients before you buy because I have found that not all are suitable for vegetarians or for a halal diet.***
For me, the best bit of the laksa is that coconut soup. I could drink it without the noodles just fine. I use Butternut Squash or Pumpkin for this recipe but you could always use meat or prawns. OMG Prawns..I love them, I am making a Prawn version this week and I cannot wait to share it with you.
Malaysian Squash Laksa
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 3 Garlic Cloves crushed
- 1 inch Ginger, grated
- 1 Lemongrass Stalk, white part grated
- 1-2 tsp Red Chilli (I use either Very Lazy or Sambal Oelek)
- 200g Laksa Paste
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Sriracha or any other Chilli Sauce
- 1/2 tsp Brown Sugar
- 750ml Vegetable Stock
- 1 400g tin Coconut Milk
- 1 tsp Fish Sauce
- 1 small Pumpkin or Butternut Squash chopped into cubes
- 220g Noodles of choice
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium low heat.
- Add garlic and ginger, and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add lemongrass and red chilli. Cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in laksa paste, soy sauce, sriracha and the brown sugar,. Turn heat up to medium and cook for 2 minutes stirring as you go.
- Add stock, coconut milk, fish sauce and squash.
- Place lid on and simmer on for 20 minutes, then blend using a stick blender.
- Cook noodles according to pack instructions and divide between 4 bowls. Top with the Laksa