Greek Chicken, Rice and Vegetable Soup
Greek Chicken, Rice and Vegetable Soup is the first soup of the season for us and i love it!
This is a soup I came across because I am addicted to Greek food. I’m going to a group and everything. Ok I’m not but I am always researching mediterranean recipes and this soup was one of the soups I read about recently in a really old and battered book.
I am a HUGE fan of lemon anything. Be that dessert, dressing or marinade. However when I tried this soup initially, it was way too lemony for even me and way too lemony for the rest of the family. It was called Greek Lemon Soup so I guess I should have taken that into consideration before making it. I just thought being a lemon lover, I would love the copious amounts of lemon in the soup but I struggled with it because I had cut down on the amount of egg that the lemon is mixed with. So i played with it a bit to make it work for us.
While this soup tastes good with the lemon, it tastes good without it too. However if you want to add more lemon, please feel free to! I have adapted the recipe according to our taste and for health reasons. Seriously, It is an absolutely delicious soup.
By the way reader, I see you. You are hungry and busy and have a family to feed. Its funny what google can tell you about the majority of your readers. Also scary. I promise I don’t analyse because I am a creep. I just want to understand my readers better. I know how difficult it can be to find the time to cook every day. So because I get you, I know that easy meals are really handy for you like they are for me. So basically what I am saying is, this fits into the easy category and you will definitely enjoy it.
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 Onion finely diced
- 3 Carrots, thinly sliced
- 3 Stalks Celery, Chopped Finely
- 1lb Chicken Breast (Bone in, Skin on)
- 1 Litre Chicken Stock (Hot)
- 180g Brown Rice (You can use White Rice or even Orzo)
- 2 Eggs at room temperature - Yolks and Whites Separated (Optional)
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 1 tbsp Flat Leaf Parsley cut finely
- Salt and Pepper
- In a large pot over medium high heat, add the oil and onion.
- Saute for 5 - 6 minutes, add the celery and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken breast and stock. Cover the pan, lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and shred the chicken. Discard the skin and bone.
- Pop the meat back into the pot with the rice, cover and cook on very low for 15 minutes.
- In a separate bowl whisk the egg whites till stiff peaks form. Stir in the yolks and lemon juice, whisking continuously.
- When the rice is done, transfer a cup of the stock to the egg/lemon mixture very slowly and beat vigorously.
- Remove the soup from the heat and add the egg/lemon mixture back into the pot, whisking to incorporate.
- Season and add the parsley.
A authentic Avgolemono soup has more eggs in it and uses white short grain rice or orzo. I have amended to make it healthier. I have also cut back on the lemon and added vegetables to make the soup more wholesome. Most of the time when I make this recipe, I leave the eggs out altogether for 2 reasons..1. because I don't always have time to beat eggs and 2. because I am watching what I am eating.