I had to share the recipe for this green shakshuka pretty quickly because some of you are really loving our original shakshuka recipe which you can see here.
I must tell you though that even with this follow up recipe being pretty simple, i actually prefer this version. I suppose it’s because I really like nutty, green flavours. For example, anything with pesto in it, pretty much always gets the green light from me.
As for the nuts here, i opted for walnuts but pine nuts would also work really well. If you do use pine nuts, replace the feta with goats cheese.
Aaah eating bread dipped in eggs that are sat in a creamy green sauce is my idea of bliss. Just gonna grab a bib to catch the drool that is hanging from my chin currently.
Anyway to make it even more delicious i added a little bit of a chilli butter topping too. That is an optional part of the recipe but because I like my food to set my ears on fire, I made it hot! Please don’t add it if you don’t like your food hot.
I have a slight obsession with eggs and therefore i always experiment with them.
I promised myself that I would put a post out once a day from last week. Unfortunately so far, it hasn’t really worked out that way.
As i mentioned in my last post, I was ill this week and rather then resting it out, i continued to push myself until of course my body gave up on me and I was puking and jelly legging my way to bed unable to keep up with my mind’s demands for more, more.. MORE!
Anyway here is that recipe!
- 4 eggs
- 1 large onion/2 small onions
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 flat tsp coriander powder
- 1 flat tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp cream
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 cup spinach
- ½ green chilli
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2tbsp water
- 6 walnuts
- 1 tbsp yoghurt
- ½ tsp dried parsley
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 tsp butter
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 50g feta
- Blend the ingredients for the sauce using a food blender.
- Heat oil and butter in a large non stick pan and add garlic. Cook for 5 minutes over a medium/high heat until the onions are brown.
- Add cumin, coriander and paprika powder and combine.
- Pour in the cream and stir it through. Allow to cook on a low heat for 1 minute.
- Now add the blended sauce to the pan. Cook for ⅔ minutes over a low/medium heat.
- Crumble in the feta and season.
- Put the butter and chilli flakes in a microwave proof dish and heat for 20 seconds.
- Empty the contents of the pan into 2 oven proof dishes.
- Crack 2 eggs into each dish. Season the eggs.
- Place under a hot grill for 5/10 minutes. Keep a close eye on it and remove once the eggs are cooked.
- Top with chilli butter if using.