Healthy Egg Curry with Potatoes and Peas
A healthy and hearty egg curry with potato and peas – aka everyones favourite meal.
I am yet to come across a single person who doesn’t like this. It is such a crowd pleasing meal. It will quieten the kids down and satisfy the adults. Basically it is magical yet so simple to make. 30 – 40 minute meals are the best! Especially when they are so easy to make.
You can serve this with roti, pitta bread, bread, sourdough, rye bread, gluten free breads or even white/brown rice. The egg curry itself is very healthy and to keep it that way, I would eat it with a gluten free bread/roti made without the use of oil or butter.
The time is flying today. Like zooming by and I still have so much to do despite it being a really productive day so far. By this time I am usually feeding my daughter her afternoon meal (She is off nursery at the moment). Today I am very behind with the cooking side of things. I am making healthy samosas today too. I first had them at my friends house. Well the filling anyway and I was addicted so yeah i need to make a healthy version of them.
About this ‘healthy version’ thing. I spoke to a couple of blog readers recently who requested healthier alternatives their fave meals. I also asked them what they would change about the blog. They said that they weren’t so much into the difficult to obtain ingredients or recipes that take too long. How about you? Do you mind recipes that include super foods/powders that can sometimes (depending on where you live) only be found online? I would love your feedback. I want you to think of this as a resource for you. What would your ideal Tiffin and Tea site look like? What would it include. Please let me know! I would love to hear from you.
P.S. Please try this recipe. It is one my mum made loads whilst we were growing up and is comfort in a bowl!
- 3 Medium Sized Potatoes (Skin on or off) cut into quarters
- 7 Small Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Petis Pois Peas
- 300 ml Passata or Crushed Tomatoes
- 4 Garlic Cloves Crushed
- 1 Green Chilli crushed
- 2 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tsp Salt (Adjust to your taste)
- Pinch of Garam Masala Powder (Optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil and slowly add the potatoes, eggs and peas. Boil for 15 minutes and drain in a colander under running cold water. Peel the eggs and chop in half.
- Whilst the above is boiling in a separate medium sized pot add the passata/tomatoes, garlic and green chilli. Allow to simmer for at least 6 - 7 minutes over a medium/low heat otherwise the tomatoes will be tangy and won't have cooked through enough.
- Add the cumin, coriander, chilli, turmeric and salt and turn the heat down. Allow to simmer for a further 6 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, eggs and peas and garam masala.
- Add half a cup of water, turn the heat right down.
- Cover the pot and simmer for 10 minutes. Check every now and again to make sure the water isn't burning off too quickly. Add more if needed.