Healthy tastes like Cadbury’s Picnic Bar
Healthy tastes like Cadbury’s Picnic Bar – A delicious caramel bar covered in silky smooth dark chocolate.
By the way is that even a title? Oops sorry. It gets the point across though right? Thats all that matters. 😉
I never intended for this bar to taste like Cadbury’s Picnic. It just happened. Had I intended to make it taste like Picnic, it would have included nuts, gluten free wafers or rice cakes and raisins. Turns out, I didn’t need to add all those ingredients and it therefore it isn’t as bumpy as the yummy original version!
Picnic isn’t one of the more talked about Cadbury’s chocolates but it is definitely my favourite. Just ask my husband. When I fancy something sweet and a little bit naughty, it is always a Picnic. So imagine my delight, when I combined these ingredients and they tasted like my fave chocolate bar – Picnic! It means I never have to have the unhealthy version again. It is so quick to make too! Yay for me.
If i am completely honest, i really prefer dark chocolate to milk chocolate anyway. I don’t ever crave chocolate unless we are talking a really dark chocolate with a touch of sea salt or mint. Picnic was my one downfall. LOLS. (Who even says that anymore?).
When I was younger, I didn’t really have a sweet tooth. I was all about the savoury. Then as I got older, sweet things really started to tickle my fancy and then it became an addiction and so I had to wean myself off sweet things. Also as I am getting older, I want both!
If I want the sweet stuff, I am more then happy with a modified refined sugar free version thank you very much. That is why these made my day. Really. I want them all the time now! Like one night, my husband walked downstairs to find me on bar number two. How did that even happen? So he did what any good husband would do and made me a brew and ate one himself.
I love the fact that i don’t have to bake them too. All you gotta do is pop these in the freezer for 30 minutes and WOAH. You have yourself a feel good a-ma-zing snack.
- 320g Medjool dates pitted
- 4 tbsp Peanut Butter
- Sprinkle of Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tbsp Buckwheat Groats
- 100g Dark Chocolate
- Line a Baking tray with Greaseproof Paper.
- Combine the dates, peanut butter, salt, lemon juice and vanilla extract in a food processor and blend till smooth.
- Spread the mixture over the tray to a thickness of 1/2 inch.
- Sprinkle over the buckwheat groats.
- Pop the tray in the fridge for 2-3 hours.
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water making sure that the water is not touching the bottom of the bowl. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Once the mixture in the freezer has hardened, chop into bars carefully. Aim for 5 - 6.
- Dip the bars into the chocolate completely and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
These will keep covered in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. The total time is without the time required to set the bars.