Leek and Potato Soup
I love leek and potato soup in brrrrr freezing cold weather. There was a time I just hated soup. I was like, why do you want to eat food you can’t bite? Not even the chunky soups worked for me. All that changed a few years ago, when I had a delicious pasta and chicken soup at a friends house.
I didn’t think the cold would come so early by the way. Did you? It is already crackling log fire, wooly scarves and jumpers and indoor boots weather. Also known as snuggly weather. I quite like it. I always imagine going to a cottage and just completely relaxing for the weekend. Not happened so far but i’m hoping my husband reads this and sorts it out one day soon. In man world, that means two years at least. I don’t mind waiting though.
It’s one hour till the first of my kids returns home. My daughter finishes her day at 11 (she comes back starving, like she just didn’t have breakfast a couple 3 hours ago) and my son returns at 3. It is a very packed day for my son overall. He returns home and then goes back out again for Islamic Studies.
Sometimes I really think, I would love to home school but I am so scared that I will mess its up! I am also worried that I won’t be able to do it. Then I think, it can’t be that difficult to teach a 5 year old. Aside from the usual hyperactive behaviour type stuff. Then I come back to reality and remind myself just how difficult the holidays are sometimes! Ultimately though, my kids are my responsibility or our responsibility and sometimes I wonder why we so easily hand over our kids to a stranger for so many hours of the day. Then I think, it’s the norm and most people turned out ok. See how confused I am?!
Anyway, when my daughter gets in today she will be raiding the fridge as she always does and I just might make her some of this soup because I have some leeks in at the moment!
- 2 large Leeks trimmed, washed, slice in half lengthways and cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 large Onion sliced finely
- 1 tbsp Oil (Veg)
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 large Potato, peeled and chopped into 1 inch cubes
- 1 Vegetable stock cube
- 500 ml Water
- 500 ml Milk
- 2 tbsp Double Cream
- Salt and Pepper
- Add the oil, butter, leeks, onion and potatoes to the pan. Cook for 3 - 4 minutes.
- Add the Stock cube to the water in a cup and stir completely till dissolved. Add to the pan along with the milk.
- Bring to the boil and turn the heat down, Simmer for 25 minutes.
- Whizz with a hand blender and add the cream and salt and pepper.