Lightened up Breakfast Banoffee Parfait
Lightened up Breakfast Banoffee Parfait – Indulgent yet healthy Banoffee Parfait with a date caramel, crunchy granola and chocolate drizzle. All the taste without the calories!
I am definitely a breakfast/brunch person. Kinda like my kids. I could quite happily skip an evening meal in favour of breakfast. In my home, I am always the first one up but my daughter is not far behind. So I usually sneak downstairs and shove some food down my throat whilst she is asleep. I have to work pretty fast though because she has some sort of weird sixth sense and knows when I wake up. Even if its at 4am!
Before I got married, I used to make banoffee pie a lot. My brother in law also once made delicious banoffee pie tartlets that were sooooo good. After marriage, I haven’t made much banoffee pie because my sister in law used to make it quite often! The role was already taken!
Nowadays I wouldn’t make the standard banoffee pie anyway. As delicious as it is, it is laden in sugar and calories. It is a dessert lovers dream but a sugar addicts nightmare! Step forward lightened up breakfast banoffee parfait. This is so yummy without all the added calories. I mean I could have added condensed milk but….Ok maybe not.
For the cream layer, I used yoghurt and stirred in a touch of vanilla. For the digestive buttery base, I used a granola that I sweetened with honey. Oh and I made a date caramel. SOOOOO easy to make and so decadent. Then it was pretty much all about layering. I did drizzle some chocolate over the top because why not?
I may have been having these for dessert too..you know just to make sure the flavours all worked well together.
- 80 g Granola of your choice
- 1 tsp Honey
- 60g Medjool Dates pitted and chopped
- 180ml milk
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
- Pinch Salt
- 370g Greek Yoghurt
- ½ tsp vanilla paste
- 1 large, ripe banana sliced into 1/2 cm slices
- 70g Dark Chocolate melted
- In a small saucepan over low/medium heat, dry fry the granola. Heat for 2-3 minutes , then add the honey. Heat for a further minute and set aside.
- Add all the ingredients for the caramel to a blender and blend till smooth. Pour into a pan and heat over a low flame for 6 - 7 minutes until thickened and reduced down. Stir continuously!
- Story the vanilla into the yoghurt in a small bowl.
- Layer the ingredients in 3 small glasses/cups/dessert bowls.
- First add 2 tsp granola, some banana, 1 tsp date caramel, 2 tbsp yogurt and repeat.
- Top with banana and the melted chocolate.