Raw Vegan and Gluten Free Chocolate Caramel Tart
Can we take a moment to appreciate the deliciousness that is this raw vegan and gluten free chocolate caramel tart? Oh and by the way, it is also refined sugar free, totally addictive, seriously decadent and a definite crowd pleaser.
Sometimes you put a recipe together that even you cannot believe is healthy. I mean, most excessively indulgent desserts are not only calorifically dense, they are also loaded with sugar, fats, wheat and E numbers.
Nowadays with a move towards cleaner eating, a lot of people prefer not to have those desserts. Luckily, this recipe is gluten free, wheat free, grain free, gluten free, vegan and paleo. It does contains nuts and nuts are high in fat and calories, but I prefer that over sugar. Sugar has been problematic for me because as some of you know, it became an addiction and that can prove pretty difficult to overcome especially when there are so many other things going on.
This tart is ridiculously rich and fudgy. I am usually more then content with a tiny slither. A little goes a long way here. It can also look pretty special. Imagine raspberries, or macadamias or pistachios and rose. Basically this tart can be tarted up. YAY! I think I have just talked myself into making another one today. 🙂 My kids will definitely appreciate that!
It is the caramel layer that gives this tart it’s amazing fudgy texture. It takes it from just a chocolate tart to something a little bit more special. I can almost taste it right now!
Once you make it, I reckon you will make it again and again. I even got smaller tins specifically for this so I can divide the mixture between two tins and send one to family because it is so popular.
- 2 1/4 Cup or 225g Almond Flour
- 1/4 Cup plus 2 tbsp or 115g Cacao or Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1/4 Cup plus 2 tbsp or 75g Coconut Oil (Melted)
- 1.5 tbsp Maple Syrup
- Pinch of Salt
- 1/2 Cup or 125g Almond Butter
- 1/3 Cup or 110g Maple Syrup
- 1/3 Cup or 70g Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 cup or 240ml Canned Full Fat Coconut Milk
- 350g Dark Dairy Free/Raw Chocolate chopped finely
- Combine all the ingredient for the crust in a large bowl and mix well.
- Grease a 20 inch pan with a removable bottom with coconut oil.
- Press the crust into the tart pan and pop into the fridge.
- In a medium size bowl, combine all the ingredients for the Caramel and whisk well.
- Add the caramel in a thin layer over the crust.
- Pop the chocolate to a large glass bowl.
- Bring the coconut milk to a boil in a small pan.
- Pour the coconut milk over the chocolate and let it stand 1 minute.
- Stir until smooth.
- Pour the Ganache over the caramel layer.
- Place the tart in the fridge to set for 2 hours.
With this recipe, I prefer to use cup measures but have converted them into Grams and ML too.