Roast Red Pepper Quinoa with Chickpeas and Potatoes
I have been eating a lot of this roast red pepper quinoa with chickpeas and potatoes lately. It paved the way to my sugar free/dairy free/gluten free/everything free detox that came along right after this. I did actually roast the peppers with red onion myself one time but for ease, I think I prefer this method.
I genuinely love Mediterranean flavours. The roasted red pepper sauce is based on a Peri Peri sauce recipe that I used in this peri peri chicken dish here. I tried it with the vinegar but it was way too sharp for my liking so I replaced it with lemon and it worked so well.
This filling nutrition packed Quinoa bowl is the most delicious mix of vegetables and you can add anything to the bowl. Feta, olives, spinach, rocket, red onion, cucumbers..whatever you fancy basically. Hummus is also a great idea. Confession time! When I made this a couple of weeks ago, I made a very basic Hummus (2 tins chickpeas, 2 – 3 large capfuls olive oil, 3 cloves crushed garlic, salt and pepper, 3 tablespoon lemon juice, 4 – 5 tbsp Tahini and Smoked Paprika (because I just love it)) and I just mixed it right into the Quinoa. It was amazing!
I got the idea for this recipe from the amazingness that is Deliciously Ella. I wanted to add a peri peri style sauce to the Quinoa and it totally worked.
By the way guys I know I have been slacking with the posts lately. I really need an extra pair of hands. My husband has not been involved with the blog for the last few months (He has been very busy with work) and that has put an extra strain on me. I am a one girl band at the moment. So this week I am trying to work on a new way of doing things. Lets see how it goes!
For now though, lets just focus on the food. Strictly for mindfulness/being in the moment and all that of course.
- 450g Roasted Red Peppers jar
- 3 cloves Garlic
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Juice of one Lemon
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup almonds
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 400g tin Chickpeas drained
- 500g new potatoes, halved
- 3 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 400g can of coconut milk
- Salt and pepper
- 180g quinoa
- Pulse all the ingredients for the sauce in a food processor until smooth.
- Place the potatoes in a pan of boiling water and then let them cook for about 10 - 15 minutes and drain.
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and add the garlic, turmeric, coriander, cumin, chilli, smoked paprika, ginger, coconut milk, tomato purée and roasted red pepper sauce.
- Bring to the boil, season with salt and pepper, then add the quinoa with 300ml boiling water.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, place the lid on and allow to cook.
- Over the next 30 minutes, stir often to make sure nothing sticks to the bottom.
- Halfway through cooking, add the chickpeas.
- The Quinoa will be soft and fluffy.