Salted caramel popcorn
This salted caramel popcorn is crunchy yet chewy and salty yet sweet.
I really want some right now. I don’t care that it’s so early in the morning. Who needs egg benedict? Ok i do. I might make some once this is up, so if you see it in an instagram post, you know i really couldn’t stop thinking about it.
I was thinking about a snack to make for me and the kids to have whilst we watched finding nemo (by the way my laptop has changed nemo to memo ONE HUNDRED times already).
Obviously popcorn was top of the list. I figured that salted caramel and popcorn would be a change to our usual salty popcorn.
What i love about them most is that they keep my kids mouths busy and that is important when watching something. It’s funny, i never used to watch much tv. It was something i just couldn’t do. Now, i feel like i have to get over my day. Like i need to come down from it. So, i have to watch something to get over the mad rush of my days.
These salted caramel popcorn with peanuts, snickers and pretzel sticks complimented our little movie night perfectly. Do give them a try and let me know how it goes!
- 1 tbsp oil
- 70 g popcorn kernels
- 80 g unsalted butter
- 180g dark brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 150 g roasted salted peanuts
- ½ tsp sea salt flakes (I use Maldon)
- Optional - 2 Snickers bars chopped in half lengthways, then into ¼ inch pieces
- Handful salted pretzels
- Twix - chopped into ¼ inch pieces
- Place the oil and popcorn in a large pan and cover with a lid.
- Put the heat up to medium/high. Shake the pot a few times. Turn the heat off when the popping is down to every 1 - 2 seconds.
- Preheat the oven to gas mark ½.
- Line a baking pan with greaseproof paper.
- In a small pan over medium heat, melt the butter with the sugar, salt, golden syrup and bring to a boil. Put the heat down slightly. Gently boil for 5 minutes.
- Add the peanuts and pretzels if using to the mix and stir through.
- Pour into the popcorn and mix thoroughly but carefully.
- Spread onto the greaseproof paper. Bake for 45 - 50 minutes. Stir and rotate half way through and check again at 40 minutes. This is to make sure it isn't catching.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with sea salt, add snickers and twix if using.
- Allow to cool before serving.