Salted chai caramel and nutella brownies
My love for chai is well known. It’s a constant, undying love. However, my love for nutella comes in bursts. These Salted chai caramel and nutella brownies are dreamy. They are indulgent, gooey and irresistible. Imagine a really sweet chai, like a thai iced tea – these brownies are the edible version of that.
Also they don’t take much effort to make, which is always a win in my book because most days, i am doing a ridiculous amount of multi tasking in my little kitchen. Then of course there are my two little helpers (my kiddos) who come in every five minutes for a snack/to report a dispute/to ‘help’.
I have been trying to get a post out over the last few days, but have dodgy internet which always fills me with deep, deep joy. You know when you have spent 3 hours writing/editing and the post disappears? See, sounds fun doesn’t it?
My son is really funny. He is also (like most 4 year olds) very inquisitive. This morning i have answered questions about oxygen, gravity, elephant food, space, gas and electricity. He also repeated a dream he has been having lately, about my late father in law cooking (My pops wasn’t a kitchen kind of guy). Anyway every time he has told me about this dream, he has ended with this little gem ‘Mummy he cooks better then you..’ and i always reply, ‘Did he tell you to say that?’
I have had a number of messages about our trip to Cornwall earlier this year from both readers and friends. I am in the process of putting a post together whilst dreaming about living there. Apologies, I got distracted by food posts. I don’t know why i bother planning my posts when i sometimes change my mind last minute!
- 225 unsalted butter
- 300g granulated sugar
- 60g milk chocolate chopped
- 60g dark chocolate chopped
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- 4 large eggs (200g)
- 120g cocoa powder
- 125g plain flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 280g Nutella
- 120g unsalted butter
- 100g light brown sugar
- 115g double cream
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tea bag (I use Yorkshire Tea)
- Pinch sea salt flakes
- In a small pan over high heat, bring water to the boil with the teabag, ginger, cardamom and cinnamon. .
- Remove from hobb and set aside until it is completely cool.
- In a separate pan, melt the butter and sugar for 5 minutes. Try not to stir but move the pan around.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the cream.
- Add the cooled tea and combine well.
- Top with the sea salt flakes. Set aside to thicken.
- Preheat oven to gas mark 4.
- Line a 9 x 13 inch baking tin with greaseproof paper.
- In a microwave proof glass bowl, add the butter and both chocolates. Heat in bursts of 30 seconds until melted and stir well.
- To the same bowl, whisk in the sugar, tea and vanilla.
- Slowly add in the eggs one by one whisking after each one.
- Now stir in the cocoa, flour and salt until it resembles a thick batter. (I don't sieve the flour and cocoa for brownies).
- Add one layer of the brownie mix to the lined tin.
- Add a third of the nutella and 1.5 tbsp of the chai caramel mixture. Continue to layer and top with the leftover batter. You should have some of the chai caramel mixture leftover.
- Pop the tin into the oven for 25-30 minutes.
- When 5 minutes remain, reheat the caramel mixture over a low heat until it simmers and remove from the heat.
- Take the brownies out of the oven and allow to rest for ten minutes before pouring the remaining caramel over the top.