Smoky Fish Tacos with Jalapeño Slaw and Sriracha, Chipotle Mayo
Smoky Fish Tacos with Jalapeño Slaw and Sriracha, Chipotle Mayo – aka the stuff dreams are made of. You know when you make something and it is requested ALL the time?! This is one of those meals. These tacos are loaded with Cajun flavours and are absolutely delicious.
I know this post was supposed to be up on Saturday. However my day didn’t go to plan so I apologise guys! I have been playing catch up all morning.
We did have a lovely day on Saturday because my sister came over unexpectedly. She graduated and I am so so proud of her. She did it whilst working full time, with kids, whilst running a separate business and helping with the family business too. That is quite an achievement. We had a meal and a few giggles to celebrate. When your family live far away, every visit is special!
Blackened Fish Tacos are an absolute favourite of mine. It really is one of my favourite flavour combinations. These are the perfect blend of spices that add a real punch of flavour. I make a big batch of cajun spice often and keep it in my spice cupboard because I use it a lot. Here is the recipe I use. It goes well with:
I love coleslaw but believe me when I say I am so fussy about it. I really don’t like watery, tasteless mayo. I never ever buy ready made coleslaw. I just cannot handle the flavour for some reason. In this mayo, I use a yoghurt base and it works really well with the lime, jalapeño and coriander. I absolutely love jalapeños. I can literally eat a jar whilst sat watching the telly. The creamy and cooling yoghurt that goes alongside this and adds another layer of flavour, makes it a healthier version of a coleslaw laden with mayonnaise.
However I do add full fat mayonnaise (not much) as a sauce at the end. The low fat stuff is full of sugar and goodness knows what else. I really hope you enjoy these tacos as much as we do.
- 2 tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 2 tsp Ground Cumin
- 2 tsp Onion powder
- 2 tsp Garlic powder
- 2 tsp dried Thyme
- 2 tsp dry Mustard
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp extra virgin Olive Oil
- 4 Firm White Fillets
- 125g Greek Yogurt
- 1/4 cup Coriander Leaves chopped finely
- 3 Garlic cloves crushed
- 2 Limes juiced
- 3 tbsp Jalapeños in brine diced (Reduce if this is too hot for you!)
- ½ tsp Salt
- Black Pepper
- 1 cup (about 200g) Red Cabbage, finely shredded
- 1/4 cup (50g) Green Cabbage, finely shredded*
- 2 carrots, grated
- 4 tbsp Mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Sriracha (or any other hot sauce)
- 1/2 tsp Chipotle Paste (or 1/4 tsp smoke paprika)
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 8 small Tortillas
- 2 tbsp Jalapeños in brine sliced
- Combine all of the spices for the tacos on a large tray. Dredge both sides of each fish fillet in the spice mixture.
- In a large non stick pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Cook for 2 -3 minutes on each side. Cut each fillet in half.
- Combine all the ingredients for the slaw in a medium sized bowl and mix well.
- In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the Mayo. Pop in the fridge till ready to use.
- Toast the tortillas for 1-2 minutes each side, on medium heat in a large pan.
- To serve, top each tortilla with the fish, slaw, jalapeños and mayo. Squeeze a little lime juice over the top and enjoy!