Spiced Chickpea Salad
Spiced chickpea salad is a really quick and easy salad for busy days. Gorgeous in flavour, appearance and nutritional value, this is the perfect bowl to have for lunch.
This is a really great salad to have when you cannot be asked to make a big meal. Everyone loves chickpeas right? Everyone loves salad? Ok not everyone but this is one of those salads that everyone enjoys. There is so much good going on here. The salad is diced into tiny cubes and the chickpeas are roasted with a little spice. Then it is all covered in a really simple dressing.
I wanted to give this salad a groovy (ugh why did i say that?!) name such as I dunno, immunity boosting wonder woman salad but not everyone gets me yet and might think I think i am cooler then I am. Also, I kinda hate seeing salad names like that on the net. Like ‘this salad will change your life’. No..no it won’t. It is good but not a miracle salad.
For me this is the perfect time of year to eat this salad. Why you may ask? Well Im trying to be good and attempting to get my glow back. I lost it all over the last couple of years, mainly due to anxiety. Now as most of you are aware, I am building myself back up and that requires good thoughts and good food.
This salad is packed with vegetables that will bring some of that glow back (hopefully!). I feel like I should put a disclaimer here.
DISCLAIMER: The glow will return if most of your meals throughout the year are equally healthy; you are always well hydrated; you are thinking good thoughts and exercising 4 times a week. (Haha)..
Here is a short list of the health benefits of eating the ingredients in this salad:
- Keeps you hydrated.
- Flushes out toxins.
- Includes Vitamin A, B and C, which boost immunity, give you energy and keep you radiant. Hi glow!
- Also includes magnesium, potassium, silicon. All great for the skin. Hello again glow!
- Good for tired/puffy eyes – You all know i am talking about cucumber right now.
- Great for muscle and joint pain.
- Helps control blood sugar levels.
- High in fibre.
- Reduces cholesterol
Hmm..maybe I should have called it ‘The Salad that will change your life’ after all.
- 1 Cucumber diced
- Small Handful Baby Plum Tomatoes diced
- 1 small Red Onion, peeled and diced
- 1 Red Pepper, deiced
- 1 tbsp Coriander chopped
- 60 ml Olive oil
- Juice of 1 Large Lemon
- 1 - 2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 x 400g tin Chickpeas drained
- 3 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp ground Cardamom
- 1 tsp ground Coriander
- 1 tsp ground Cumin
- 1/4 tsp Red Chilli Flakes
- Salt and Pepper
- Combine all the ingredients for the salad in a medium sized bowl.
- In a jar combine tall the ingredients for the dressing and shake well or mix together in a bowl. Pour over the salad
- Heat the oil and pour in the chickpeas. Add the remaining spices and toss to combine. Cook for 3-5 minutes shaking the pan occasionally.
- Divide the salad between four bowls and spoon the chickpeas over the top.