Sweet Orange Chicken
Sweet orange chicken off the Chinese takeaway/restaurant menu is one of the best things ever. Orange zest and peel are used to create a citrus based delicious and sweet dish.
I realise I have been away for a few days. The reason being, we have had visitors. I like to give my all when we have people over. We had an awesome weekend with my sister and her family. My niece cried all the way home. We just basically ate a lot and spent all our time out of the house, showing them the delights of Leicester. That sounds more sarcastic then it was meant to. I actually mean it. I was saying to them that Leicester feels like home now. (It’s only taken 5 years). I really struggled to settle here but there is so much wisdom in what is meant to be. I love living here now. It has a great balance of things to do. I remember getting super defensive when someone mentioned my home town once but it was more about what was said, what was behind it etc etc. I am not into game playing. I like people being direct and kind. Not using seemingly harmless ‘jokes’ to put people down. (There is a boring back story alert that I don’t really want to bring in here). Wow sorry to bring that negativity in here but we have all been there right?
Anyway onto happier thoughts. You really have to try this sweet orange chicken. It will quickly become a firm favourite. My husband loves it more then I do. Yes it is calorific and super sweet and sticky but hey whats a cheat day without term calories? I promise you will love this. In the meantime, I will start to think of a less calorific way of making this.
- 4 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 3 tbsp water
- 45g sugar (Brown or white)
- 150g white vinegar
- 30ml orange juice
- Zest of 2 large oranges
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 tbsp oil
- 65g corn flour
- 40g plain flour
- 2lb boneless chicken thighs chopped into 1inch chunks
- 1 inch ginger crushed
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 4 spring onions chopped into 1/4 inch slices
- 1tbsp corn flour
- 4 tbsp water
- Make sauce using the soy sauce, water, sugar, vinegar and zest by combining in a small pan and whisking together.
- Heat over a low medium heat, bring to the boil. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Combine all the ingredients for the egg mixture in a medium bowl and mix well.
- Combine all the ingredients for the cornflour mixture in a wide bowl.
- In a large pan, heat oil.
- Dip chicken pieces in the egg mixture, then in the flour mixture.
- Fry the chicken for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden.
- Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Drain the oil from the pan and wipe it clean.
- Add 1 tbsp oil, ginger and garlic.
- Add red pepper flakes and spring onions, and cook for just a few seconds.
- Pour in the rice wine vinegar and the orange sauce and bring to boil.
- Add the second corn flour mixture to the pan and cook for just a few seconds until it thickens. Turn off the heat, and add cooked chicken and stir until well mixed.