Tamarind and Mustard Seed Potatoes
I love these tamarind and mustard seed potatoes. I could eat them every day. I also don’t think they need anything else with them. This is a recipe my mum used to make all the time. These types of recipes spread really fast within a community and i haven’t a clue where it originates from or if my mum just made it up one day. It’s also a really old recipe.
I am fasting today and it’s only mid day but I am kinda hungry. I don’t know why because I have been fasting on and off for a while. I think today is different because I didn’t have Suhoor or Breakfast.
Anyway moving on, I really want to go to London as per usual. I honestly wish I lived there. I have wanted to live in London since I was very young. As I have mentioned before, I have been going to London since I was a kid. I just feel like its a part of me. I used to go for extended periods of time and i loved every minute of it. I just feel like, it is so far ahead of the rest of the country and so vibrant and fun. It has a real buzz about it and there is always something going on. There is no danger of getting bored, unless of course you have no money because being such a cosmopolitan city, London is very expensive too..unless you walk everywhere which would be great because there is so much to see, everywhere but sometimes things are a lot further then you anticipate. The tube makes it look like everything is around the corner.
The thing about me is that I would also love to live somewhere quite chilled. I would love to live in Cornwall. I would also love to live abroad. Istanbul maybe. I have a friend from Istanbul and she has promised me some real adventures if I ever go there. I think I may make that happen pretty soon!
Anyway I do hope you enjoy this recipe as much as i do. It’s a golden oldie but i love it.
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 3/4 tbsp oil
- 1 kg baby potatoes, cut in half
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 green chilli sliced
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 heaped tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1.5 tsp coriander powder
- 1.5 tsp cumin powder
- 50g tomatoes blended
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- 1 tsp sugar
- 100ml water
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Add the potatoes and boil for 10-15 minutes.
- In a medium non stick pot over a medium high heat, add the mustard seeds and allow them to pop. (About 1 minute).
- Add the oil, garlic and green chilli. Saute for 1 minute.
- Then add the salt, turmeric, red chilli, cumin and coriander and tomato and mix to combine. Add a splash of water.
- Prick the potatoes and add them to the pan along with the tamarind paste and sugar and turn the heat down to low. Stir the mixture so that all the potatoes are coated. Add 100ml water.
- Keep on low heat and cover with a lid, cook for a further 5 minutes or until the sauce has thickened slightly.