Toasted cinnamon crunch banana muffins
These toasted cinnamon crunch banana muffins should be a staple meal in every home. Ok maybe not. How about, a recipe everyone should be familiar with? The crunchy crust takes a simple banana muffin and makes it so much more delicious.
I am writing this post quite late today, because all morning i was working on another post. I have been working on that post for like two months but that thumping headache is back and i can’t focus on such a long post right now. Go away morning headaches!
Today is my birthday. I is getting old. I don’t actually celebrate my birthday. One of the reasons for this is because i’m at an age where i walk into the kitchen to get something and can’t remember why I’m there. On birthdays, I most look forward to voice notes from my nephews/nieces. It’s like a family tradition. So even on my kids birthday, generally i wake up to messages from all my nephews/nieces singing happy birthday to them. Not all together of course. There are ten of them and it would be pretty loud.
For these toasted cinnamon crunch banana muffins, i used black bananas. I don’t mean yellow bananas with brown dots. I mean the bananas were the blackest bananas i have ever used in any of my baking. The sweeter the better right? Also natural sweetness doesn’t count.
By the way, my husband mixed the ingredients for these and then proceeded to tell everyone that he made them. Typical..
- 200g plain flour or Wholemeal Plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda/baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 very ripe bananas mashed
- 150g light brown sugar
- 75g butter or coconut oil melted
- 1 egg
- 1tbsp plain flour
- 3 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp butter
- ¼ tsp cinnamon powder
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4
- Line a 12 hole muffin tray with muffin cases.
- In a large bowl, sieve the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
- In a small bowl, combine the bananas, egg, sugar and butter and mix throughly with a wooden spoon or in a stand mixer for ⅔ minutes.
- Fold the banana mixture into the flour and mix till combined.
- Spoon the mixture evenly between 12 cases.
- For topping combine all the ingredients for the topping.
- Crumble evenly over each muffin
- Put the tray into the preheated oven for 25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Once baked, remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly in the muffin tin. Then, remove each muffin and allow to cool on a wire rack or in a plate.