Vegetarian Orecchiette with Roast Tomatoes and Butternut Squash
Hello Vegetarian Orecchiette with Roast Tomatoes and Butternut Squash. This is half Autumn and half Summer in a bowl. Tossed in a very simple thyme, garlic sauce and topped with a sprinkle of parmesan. Wholewheat Orecchiette (Such a mission to type) is perfect for this.
My husband introduced me to this pasta on a shopping trip. He just liked the look of them more then anything. So being the amazing wife I am, I got it and made it for him the same day. What a G. Lols. I want to and intend to repeat that experience (not the shopping trip and him asking for the pasta bit because that would just be silly) over and over because it was so good.
Things I love about this recipe include its huggy-ness feeling. Apparently I invent words..its easy to make, its simmering brothy flavour and its ability to fill up hungry children. I also add an avocado to the top because avocado is creamy and I like creamy.
It is similar to mac and cheese. I often make mac and cheese with a butternut squash sauce. This reminds me of that. I did take this photo for an online contest. My picture didn’t make it! Hahaha.. I didn’t take the rejection badly because its all part of the learning process. I can see that the lighting is all wrong now!
This is basically Mac and Cheese made with grown up Pasta. By the way have you seen all the new kid Pasta shapes in the supermarkets? My kids have been asking me to buy them and I think I might do that, this weekend.
How are you guys feeling about Autumn food? I am loving it and totally in the zone. I am making all kinds of amazing autumn recipes today including filo apple pies, pumpkin bread, potato and pea samosas, moong daal soup that I am love and have been slurping regularly for the last couple of weeks. It is candle burning, boot wearing, blanket snuggling, fire crackling weather and I love it. This is my season and this dish is lovely in Autumn.
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1/2 Onion diced
- 1 tsp Fresh Thyme
- 2 tbsp Plain Flour (I use Gluten Free)
- 750ml Veg Stock
- 2-3 tbsp Parmesan
- Juice of 1/2 Lemon
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 300g Orecchiette
- 1 Large Butternut Squash cut into small cubes
- 150g Cherry Tomatoes chopped in half
- Olive oil
- Salt, and pepper
- Toasted Pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp Parmesan Cheese grated
- Cook the pasta according to package directions and set aside.
- Pop the vegetables on a large lined tray. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and roast at Gas Mark 6/200 Degrees for 30 - 40 minutes.
- Melt the butter in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add the garlic, thyme and onion and saute until soft.
- Add the flour and whisk until smooth.
- Add the stock in slowly and whisk to incorporate.
- Stir in with the cheese, lemon juice, and salt and pepper.
- Toss the sauce, pasta and vegetables together and season again if need be.