This garlic chicken is moist, delicious and very quick to throw together. It is such an appetising and enjoyable way to make chicken.
It goes great with baby roast potatoes and a side salad. It doesn’t really need anything else. I actually don’t even bother with the salad or potatoes sometimes!
With just a few simple ingredients, you end up with a recipe that is rustic and scrummy! It is one of my favourites. The garlic in its skin becomes soft, sweet, succulent and so delicious.
When you see how much garlic is in the chicken, please don’t be put off! It is absolutely delicious! However if you don’t like garlic, obviously steer clear. I can pretend there is a really subtle garlic undertone, but that would be lying. This chicken is basically what you would make for a leaving party for vampires.
As i mentioned yesterday, i am at my mums house at the moment and she is having her kitchen done which means i have NO access to a kitchen at all. It’s torture. I am dying to make so many new recipes! OK, i know it shouldn’t be such a huge issue. I suppose i am just so used to being in the kitchen! I do kind of feel like we are camping though.
I still somehow manage to fill the time. It isn’t like we are sat around twiddling our thumbs. Yesterday after getting some work done, we got out of the house for a lovely little wander with my sisters and kids. The kids had a great time just being kids!
Also yesterday, we updated our ‘about’ page to reflect some new changes that are happening around the blog at the moment, including my foray into learning about traditional medicine/nutrition. I start my course towards the end of August and will be studying for the next 3 years should i choose to continue to the full course! I will be providing more information in the coming weeks and will of course be sharing as i am learning! So exciting!
- 60g butter
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 bulb garlic clove, skin removed and divided into segments
- 2 bulbs garlic, divided into segments (leave the skin on)
- 8 chicken thighs or 4 thighs with drumsticks washed and patted dry
- Salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 6.
- Season the chicken liberally. Use plenty of pepper! Slash the chicken 2 to 3 times
- In a small non stick pan add the oil, 1 tbsp butter and skinless garlic cloves and cook over a medium heat for ten minutes. Remove the garlic from the pan and set aside.
- Increase the heat and in the same pan, brown the chicken on 5 minutes each side.
- In a large oven tray, arrange the skinless garlic and half the skin on garlic. Add chicken over the top of the garlic in a single layer. Top with the remaining garlic.
- Dot the remaining butter on the chicken.
- Bake in the oven for around 40 - 50 minutes or until juices run clear when a fork is inserting into the thickest part of the chicken.
- Serve with new roast potatoes and a side salad.