Pearl Barley Soup
The reasons i love pearl barley soup are that it is like having a really wholesome meal. It tastes delicious. It is really easy to make.
Pearl Barley was the grain most consumed by the Prophet SAW. It has cleansing properties, is anti inflammatory, high in fibre, promotes healthy blood sugar and cures ailments of the heart and kidneys.
My children are currently painting which gives me time to breathe for half an hour before i have to get them ready for nursery. My son has painted a huge giant on one page of his scrapbook and Hulk holding a jellyfish on another. My daughter has drawn spiderman and a hedgehog in her scrapbook and is now singing a really strange song..okey dokey. I love the randomness of kids.
Yesterday we made chocolate dates like the ones in this post again. This time with the kids. It didn’t go as i had envisioned! Needless to say there was a lot of smeared chocolate around. When they are so close together in age, you stop one and the other one grabs something. That being said, it’s a whole lot easier then it was last year when they were 3 and 2 and i am so grateful for their cheekiness and noise. Life would be really boring without them!
Back to the soup, the other reason i love this soup is because my husband loves it. WOOO!
I think i may be developing hay fever.. My bro and sis have it already and for the last few days i have been in the house scratching away at my eyes and sneezing. Could be something else but it feels like hay fever. A much milder case then my brother/sister. I really feel for them and any other people suffering, in this weather! I’m about to drop a prayer for you right now.
Anyhooooo, here is that soup recipe! Enjoy!
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 onion sliced finely
- 1 lb chicken breast in 1/2 inch cubes, cleaned and set aside
- 3-4 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 carrots chopped into 1/2 inch rounds
- 1/2 inch ginger peeled and grated
- 125g pearl barley rinsed
- 400ml Chicken Stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add the oil to a pan over high heat.
- Add the onions, garlic , ginger and chicken breast to the pan and brown for 5 minutes.
- Now add the carrots, stock, pearl barley and salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil, lower the heat and cover the pan.
- Simmer for 35 mins over a low heat and season. You may need to check the water at 25 - 30 mins and top up.