This One Pot Lemon Chicken and Thyme Orzo is made using very few ingredients, it is super quick and easy to make (30 minutes) and it is a dish that everyone will enjoy. It is also so so delicious.
I have shared this recipe before.. about 2 years ago and then because I hated the picture, I deleted it. Then the other day, I mentioned it to my sister and searched for it, then realised I had deleted it off the site. DUH!
I’m bursting at the seams with recipe ideas and I cannot wait to share some of them and put them in some sort of order for you real soon.
What I love about this dish is that other than the sheer convenience of being a one pot meal, it’s also great because you can add veggies to the pot to bulk it out and make it last longer. You could also make it meat free by leaving out the chicken and using beans and veggies instead. To make it vegan, you can swap out the chicken stock with vegetable stock.
Some Tips For Making This One Pot Lemon Chicken and Thyme Orzo
- I like to use chicken thighs and drumsticks in one pot recipes because they retain more moisture than chicken breasts. I do sometimes use breast but change cooking times accordingly.
- I always sear the chicken thighs first. Searing them until there’s a little brown on the outside of the chicken helps to seal in moisture and add flavour.
- I pre make a big batch of stock and use that as and when I need it straight from the freezer. You can also use stock cubes.
- I sometimes use whole wheat orzo but regular orzo is fine too.
Other Orzo recipes on the site include:
- Creamy Chicken, Orzo and Mushroom Soup
- Greek Chicken Orzo Salad with Panko Feta
- This recipe is so simple and so easy and reasonably healthy. I don’t always eat wheat but I don’t avoid it completely either. I eat it now and then and in this dish I think it is worth the bloat. LOL
One Pot Lemon Chicken and Thyme Orzo
This One Pot Lemon Chicken and Thyme Orzo is made using very few ingredients, it is super quick to make and it is a dish that everyone will enjoy.Prep Time 5 minutesCook Time 30 minutesTotal Time 31 minutes
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 8 Chicken Thighs and Drumstick mixed skinless
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 Lemon Sliced
- 4 - 6 cloves Garlic crushed
- 200 grams Orzo
- 750 ml Chicken Stock
- 1 Lemon Zest and Juice of
- Pinch Chilli Flakes
- 2 Sprigs Thyme Leaves removed
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C/Gas Mark 6.
Heat the oil in a large oven proof pot (I use a cast iron pan).
Season the chicken and add to the oil. Sear for 3 - 5 minutes per side. Remove from the pot and set aside.
Add the butter to the pan, once melted add lemon slices to the same pot and sear for 1 minute each side. Remove and set aside.
Stir in the garlic and cook for a minute before adding the orzo. Pour in the chicken stock and lemon juice and zest after 2 minutes.
Bring to a boil over high heat and slowly add the chicken, lemon slices, chilli flakes and thyme to the pot.
Pop the pot into the oven for 20 - 25 minutes. Check if the orzo and chicken are cooked and remove from the oven.