I have already shared this delightful healing and soothing Turmeric and Saffron Milk in my Instagram feed but I know that some people prefer to find recipes online. This is a variation on a recipe that my teacher (the Hakim) has taught us and one that we regularly make and drink in class. In Hakims version there is no turmeric or nut butter and we soak Almonds instead and then chop them and add them to the milk. This version is a time saving version but I would definitely try the other version too.
How to make Turmeric and Saffron Milk
To make it i simply add 250ml milk (i use Oatly), 1.5 tbsp Almond or Peanut Butter, 3/4 tsp Turmeric, 1/8 tsp Black Pepper, 1 tsp ground Ginger, 1/2 tsp ground Cardamom, 1 tsp ground Cinnamon to a blender and whizz till combined. I then pour it into a pot with 1/2 tsp Saffron (crushed slightly), i sweeten it with honey and bring to a simmer. I pour it into a cup and let it cool for 2 seconds before i start eyeing it up.
Benefits of Saffron
- The main benefits of Saffron is that it is a heating spice and is great for mental health. Persian traditional medicine uses saffron for depression, and researchers wanted to assess the efficacy this herb in the treatment of mild to moderate depression in a six-week clinical trial. ‘Thirty adult outpatients who met the clinical interview for depression participated in the trial. Participants had a baseline Hamilton Rating Scale for Depression score of at least 18. In this double-blind, single-center trial, participants were randomly assigned to receive a capsule of the herb (30 milligrams a day) in group 1 or a capsule of the antidepressant imipramine (100 milligrams per day) in group 2 for a six-week study. Saffronat this dose was found to be effective in a similar manner to imipramine to improve mild to moderate depression.’ Dr Axe
- Boosts Cardiovascular Health
- Alleviates Symptoms of PMS
- Promotes Satiety and aids in Weight loss
Benefits of Turmeric
- Turmeric contains Bioactive Compounds With Powerful Medicinal Properties. Curcumin is the main active ingredient in turmeric. It has powerful anti-inflammatory effects and is a very strong antioxidant.
- Curcumin Is a Natural Anti-Inflammatory Compound.
Turmeric Dramatically Increases the Antioxidant Capacity of the Body
Curcumin is linked to Improved Brain Function and lowers risk of Brain Diseases
**Please let me know if you make this drink. It is a drink I make all the time (as you may have seen in my stories) and I feel like its benefits are so noticeable. Tag me on Instagram if you make it.**
Saffron and Turmeric Milk
Saffron and Turmeric Milk - A healing and soothing drink
- 250 ml Milk I use Oatly
- 1.5 tbsp Almond/Peanut Butter
- 3/4 tsp Turmeric
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cardamom
- 1 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Saffron lightly crushed
Add the milk, nut butter, turmeric, black pepper, ground Ginger, ground Cardamom, and ground Cinnamon to a blender and whizz till combined.
Pour it into a pot with Saffron. Sweeten with honey (not necessary but delicious) and bring to a simmer.
Pour into a mug and enjoy.