Healing Turmeric Tea
There’s a new trend out at the moment and it is everywhere! The craze is for turmeric latte or golden milk. Turmeric also known as Arad/Haldi/Addar is well known for it’s anti inflammatory and antioxidant effects. However because it is difficult to absorb, it is advisable to have it with some black pepper too. Here I have made a healing turmeric tea.
The thing about turmeric lattes is that most indians have been having them at home for YEARS. Every time an indian person is ill, they are made to have this milk. I’m not sure if that applies to all asians? The main difference between the milk we have at home and a turmeric latte is that the milk is replaced with coconut or almond milk and a turmeric juice is added instead of the root or the powder. I am sticking with the powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- Pinch of black pepper
- 250ml milk of your choice
- 1/4 tsp mixed spice
- 2 tsp honey or maple syrup
- 60 ml skimmed or light coconut milk
- Add all the ingredients to a pan and bring to the boil. (About 5 minutes)
- Allow to simmer and stir in the honey. Whisk well and continue to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Strain the milk into a cup.
- In a lidded microwave proof jar,add the milk.
- Close the lid and shake the jar until frothy (about 30 seconds).
- Remove the lid from the jar and microwave for 30 seconds.
- Using a large spoon, hold back the milk and add the froth on top of the milk.
You may want to add more turmeric/turmeric paste but i would test it first and then adjust the next time you make it.
If you like whole spices, add 2/3 whole cardamom pods, a cinnamon stick and 2 cloves in to the milk at the beginning.
The nutrition information is based on making the latte with cows milk and without the froth.