Nabeez is a Prophetic drink that is cleansing, alkalising and has many other benefits. It was one of the favourite drinks of the beloved Prophet Muhammad صَلَّى اللّٰهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ (Peace be Upon Him).
Nabeez or Nabidh was a drink consumed by our beloved Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم.
You can use any dates or raisins to make Nabeez.
However raisins or dates should not be used together.
Ajwa is the recommended Date for Nabeez.
How to make Nabeez
Remove the stone from the Dates.
Add Pitted Dates to 250ml Water.
Drink the water in the morning.
Leftover dates can be used to make a smoothie.
You can blend the Dates with a Banana, melted Chocolate and Milk to make a delicious smoothie.
You will need to add more liquid then I have here!
You can blend Nabeez with fruits and juices of your choice to make a smoothie.
Benefits of Nabeez
- Nabeez is an Alkalising tonic – Illness thrives in an acidic environment and Nabeez cures acidity in the stomach and digestive system.
- Nabeez is beneficial in cases of Arthritis and Gout/cases of elevated Uric Acid.
- It removes other metabolic wastes from the body such as excretements or substances left over from metabolic processes (such as cellular respiration) which cannot be used. This includes nitrogen compounds, water, CO2, phosphates, sulphates, etc.
- Enhances digestion as it is high in soluble fibre.
- It is good for the memory.
- It helps the function of the Spleen, Liver, Chest, Throat, and Prostate.
My experience with Nabeez
I have only starting making Nabeez recently after reading a message about its benefits.
This is a prophetic drink and as such i knew it would hold some benefit to me.
However that didn’t mean i was looking forward to trying it! I imagined that it would be really ‘bitty’.
I was pleasantly surprised when I had Nabeez because it is delicious.
Soaking the dates makes the date water sweet.
A Kilner jar is ideal for Nabeez because you can just screw the lid on and forget about it but a tall glass covered with a small dish is also perfect.
I also found that the drink made me feel energised throughout my fast and the usual tiredness and aching experienced whilst fasting wasn’t present.
I felt like i had the energy to take on more and was able to engage in my usual long walks.
Benefits of Dates
- Dates contain Fibre, Potassium, Copper, Manganese, Magnesium and Vitamin B6.
- Dates also promote Digestive Health.
- They help to relieve constipation thanks to the fibre content.
- They boost heart health.
- They are an anti inflammatory, help boost iron levels, help to reduce blood pressure, promote respiratory health.
Hadith re Nabidh
‘Abdullah (radhi Allahu anhu) said that “I heard Sufyan being asked about Nabidh. He said: ‘Make Nabidh at night and drink it in the morning.'”
Sunan an Nas’ai Vol. 6, Book 51, Hadith 5745
Note – Do not consume beyond 3 days
Leaving the date water for too long in a warm place can cause fermentation.
‘Ibn Abbas (radhi Allahu anhu) reported that Nabidh was prepared from raisins for Allah’s Messenger (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) in the waterskin and he would drink it on that day and on the next day and the day following and when it was the evening of the third day, and he would drink it and give it to (his Companions) and if something was left over, he threw that away.’
Sahih Muslim Book 23 Hadith 4974
More Ramadan Recipes
**if you make something from tiffin and tea, i would love to see your creations! don’t forget to rate this recipe and leave a comment below! we love to hear from you. safira x
Nabeez - an energising Suhoor drink for Ramadan
Nabeez is a Prophetic drink that is cleansing, alkalising and has many other benefits. It was one of the favorite drink of the beloved Prophet Muhammad صَلَّى اللّٰهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ (Peace be Upon Him).
- 7 Dates I use Medjoul
- 250 ml Water
Soak the dates in water overnight (preferbaly after Isha), in a large cup or jar with a lid.
Put into the fridge. Remove from the fridge half an hour before you plan to drink it so it can come to room temperature.
Leaving the date water for too long in a warm place can cause fermentation. Yesterday it was particularly hot, so i put my jar in the fridge to do its thing. If it is a cool day, there is no need to put the water into the fridge.
The calories are based on the Dates only. If you do not eat the dates, the water is calorie free.